Saturday, December 23, 2006

The rise of Socio-fiction

Are we witnessing the dawning of a new genre of film? I have noticed over the last couple of years a vast increase in films that present an alternate political reality. Films such as V for Vandetta, and now Children of Men. How would you class these films? They aren't exactly science fiction, even if they are set in the future sometimes. And you can't call them Political thrillers, like The Manchurian Candidate because that was a work of fiction based on actual history, as opposed to a supposed future.

Therefore, I hereby declare that we now have a new genre of film - namely Socio-fiction. Feel free to steal this marvellous phrase to describe other such films. I'll update this post when other examples come to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi James

Socio Fiction sure is a marvellous phrase, I've been "playing" with it myself. There are many interesting movies in the socio fiction genre, focusing on social structure in the near or far future. Here is a list of movies I think belongs to that genre.

The Time Machine (1960)
Fahrenheit 451 (1966)
THX-1138 (1971)
Soylent Green (1973)
Zardoz (1974)
Logans Run (1976)
1984 (1984)
Equlibrium (2002)

I hope we will see more of movies in this genre in the future, they are a lot more interesting than movies focusing future technology.

Gudmund Goltermann